Cuartel de Ballajá (Ballajá Barracks or Ballajá Quarters)
This building was built to house Spanish soldiers and their families in the late 1800s, and could accommodate up to 1,000 people. The construction began in 1854, the main building was completed in 1863 and the chapel was added in 1881. The Cuartel de Ballajá is a three-story square building with large gates on two ends, ample balconies, designed with a series of arches and a protected central courtyard that served as a plaza and covers a reservoir. The Cuartel de Ballajá was the last and largest building constructed by the Spaniards in the New World. Today it houses the Museum of the Americas, featuring changing exhibitions.